I’m looking forward to Run With the Roosters on July 14th. Here’s a few reasons I love this race:
- It’s a five mile race. I think it crosses the threshold for just long enough that it’s worth getting up early in the morning to go racing, but it’s not an all morning event.
- It’s a summer race. I’m in the definite minority in that I like running in the heat. I don’t have to worry about how to dress to run and still be comfortable at the starting line. Tank and shorts. Easy.
- Rolling hills. Love me some hills. Just put a little hill training in, and you have an immediate advantage over other runners that are allergic to hill training.
- It’s 4 miles from my house. It’s one of only a handful of Tucson races that I don’t have to make a 45 minute commute to get to the race.
- The Tucson Mountain Park desert is beautiful to run through.
- It’s a small local race. Makes the chances of placing in your division better. SWET usually does pretty good in age group awards.
- They have cool trophies. I’m not just saying that because I have two of them. I mean, look at ’em. Who doesn’t want a little rooster? It’s amazing how much harder I will push through a race for the chance at a little plastic chicken on a pedestal.
- There’s a mascot in a chicken suit who’s entertaining and sweating way worse than the runners.
- There’s breakfast. Measurable irony in that it’s eggs. Hopefully they weren’t laid by the mascot.
- The sunrise over the Tucson Mountains gives you yet another opportunity reflect, marvel and appreciate that we don’t HAVE to run… We GET to to run.
- I have a legitimate reason to wear these socks in public. My wife can’t stop me.
Information about Run With the Roosters can be found here: